Thursday, April 3, 2008

My Two Dogs: Animal - Lover

All my life we've had family pets (dogs and cats). I definetly think people are the result of thier environment growing up as a child. Interacting and taking care of animals has been a big part of my childhood and it has carried over into adulthood. Keith and I share the same mantality about animals. They are like family:)

From renting houses over the years, it's been hard to have a dog but we have always found a place that would allow a dog. Now that I'm buying a house for the last 4 years, we now have two dogs. We would never pay for a dog unless it was from a humane society or shelter. There are way too many dogs and cats in shelters across the nation that need a loving home first. Look at your local humane society first before considering buying a animal. Keith and I have rescued three dogs that we've kept and taken care of, Shadow, Dozer and Lacy.

Here's our rescue stories:


Shadow: Keith's grandmother knew about the dog through a friend and she asked Keith if he was willing to save the dog. Poor Shadow was on death row and was about to be euthoized the next day and Keith wanted to give him a chance so he rescued him out of the pound. A mix of pit bull and red doberman. He lived to be 7 years old.


Dozer: I was on my way to school and stopped at the local store (Safeway) to pick up a lottery ticket. I saw this man wearing a uniform with two black pupies (8 weeks old) at his feet. I thought this was strange (this picture doesn't fit). I found out that someone abanonded these puppies behind the store and they made there way around to the front. People would stop and pet them and then go about their business. The pupies started making there way into traffic. I put them a shopping cart and called Keith and told him the story of these two pupies. He said to put them in the truck, grab some puppy food and take back to our house. We kept Dozer and foound a home for his sister Trinity. I know Matrix character names. We didn't think about it at the time we named them. He's a border collie- german shepard mix.







Lacy: Unfortuently was tied up under a boat. Fieses all around her water and food bowl. We sold firewood to this woman and the second time we dropped off wood, she was going to take Lacy to the pound. She was getting to big for the woman and she didn't want her anymore. Keith had me go and check her out. I about cried right then and there looking at the conditions this poor dog was living with. I didn't even hesitate on taking her. She's a Lab-Rot mix. The sweetiest dog I have ever met!!



We had Dozer and Lacy for about 5 years now. What a pair they make. Ones lazy and sweet and the other's hyper and very smart.


For some reason all have been what I call tuxedo dogs. Black coats with a small splash of white on the chest and feet.


We've rescued many other dogs together in the effort to find better lives in loving homes and we've been sucessful.


There will always be more dogs (and cats) that need a loving home and I hope to help in that effort for many yeats to come:)


Here's a few pictures of Dozer and Lacy:














1 comment:

KarmasKreations said...

They are too cute! Wish they could have hung out with us this weekend. Hope to meet them someday!